Since 1989, the YWCA South Hampton Roads (SHR) has recognized more than 360 “Women of Distinction,” who exemplify the YWCA’s mission to eliminate racism and empower women.
Information provided by the YWCA.
This year, the organization will recognize its milestone 30th class of women for their accomplishments and extraordinary contributions to their profession and their community. The celebratory awards luncheon will take place from noon to 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 29, at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. Barbara Hamm Lee, YWCA SHR Board of Directors chair and Executive Producer/Host, Another View, WHRV-FM, will be the emcee.
In celebration of the 30th Anniversary, the luncheon will feature a Rhinestone Raffle—each guest will receive something that sparkles, and one lucky luncheon guest will win a diamond bangle bracelet—courtesy of gift sponsor Diamonds Direct. Individual luncheon tickets are $65; a sponsorship luncheon table (eight seats) is $1,500.
“We are excited that this is our 30th year of recognizing women leaders in our communities,” said Andrea Bear, chair of the YWCA SHR Women of Distinction committee, and past chair of the YWCA SHR Board of Directors. “Hampton Roads is home to some phenomenal women, and we are honored to recognize just a few of them annually.”
This year’s honorees are:
· Arts: Anne Corso, Director of Education, Chrysler Museum of Art
· Communications: Kelly Till, Advertising Director, the Virginian-Pilot & Pilot Media Services
· Education: Dr. Christine Damrose-Mahlmann, Associate VP for Student Services, Tidewater Community College
· Finance: Joanna Brumsey, CPA and Shareholder, Wall, Einhorn & Chernitzer
· Government: Lynn Clements, Executive Director, Slover Library
· Law: Elaina Blanks-Green, General Tax Attorney, Norfolk Southern Corporation
· Medicine: Dr. Muge Akpinar-Elci, Chair, College of Health Services, Old Dominion University
· Military: Capt. Kathy Donovan, U.S. Navy, retired
· Non-Profit: Valerie Kay Brown, Executive Pastor, The Mount Global Fellowship of Churches
· Science/Technology: Darlene Baxter, Deputy Director for Program Planning, NASA Langley
· Volunteerism: Blythe Ann Scott, Chief Deputy, Commissioner of the Revenue, Norfolk</spa
For more information about the 2018 YWCA SHR Women of Distinction honorees as well as information on tickets for the luncheon, please visit www.ywca-shr.org or call (757) 625-4248. The deadline to sponsor or purchase tickets is Tuesday, March 20.