The September festival and event lineup offers many options for locals to create the perfect kickoff to autumn. With plenty of great weather ahead, why not mark your calendars now and plan to get in on as much as the fun as you can? Here are our top 10 picks for living the life this September:
1. Get ready to “Soak Up the Sun” over Labor Day Weekend at the Resort Beach during the American Music Festival (Sept. 4-6), featuring headliner Sheryl Crow. One of the largest outdoor music events on the East Coast, the festival brings together national, regional and local acts to play on a gigantic stage in the sand at 5th Street.
2. It’s the 15th anniversary of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon (Sept. 4-6) in Virginia Beach! Cheer on the racers from downtown Virginia Beach to the Resort Beach, where it’s the race to the finish line. Here’s a little secret for those who are participating in the race: the race bib is a ticket to the fun and festivities at the American Music Festival, all weekend long!
4. Imagine a sky filled with soaring acrobatic military jets, providing a heart-stopping performance. The sky comes to life at the NAS Oceana Air Show (Sept. 19-20), which is pleased to present the United States Navy’s Blue Angels for a flight demonstration along with thrilling military and civilian performances. This show is sure to leave you exhilarated!
5. The Neptune Festival (through Oct. 10) is all about celebrating the beach life! The festival, now in its 42nd year, consists of over 40 events that spread across all three beaches, giving all the opportunity to explore, experience and enjoy the best of Virginia Beach. King Neptune loves to celebrate the life — festival style!
6. Enjoy an afternoon hosted by Virginia’s leading vineyards at the 19th Annual Neptune’s Fall Wine Tasting (Sept. 12-13). Sip chardonnays, merlots, Rieslings and more, while meeting and greeting the grapeful minds behind Virginia’s quality wine reputation. Settle down for the evening enjoying delicious cuisine and live entertainment on the boardwalk.
7. Neptune Festival Art & Craft Show and Boardwalk Weekend (Sept. 25-27) will line Virginia Beach’s three-mile boardwalk with tents showcasing 270 artisans displaying handmade work created all across the country. Daily concerts will take place along 32 blocks for visitors to enjoy, while crab cakes and Italian ice will be available to fulfill visitors’ cravings, as they enjoy arts and crafts under the sun with an unbeatable Atlantic Ocean backdrop.
8. Mythical dragons, mermaids and pirates emerge from the sand for 10 days at the International Sand Sculpting Championship (Sept. 25–Oct. 4), where sculptors from around the world come together to compete for the Neptune Championship — one of the most distinctive events of its kind in the world!
9. Run, jog or walk down Atlantic Avenue to Rudee Inlet cheering on family and friends during Neptune’s 8K or 5K (Sept. 26). Afterwards, celebrate and enjoy food and drinks with a fantastic view of the ocean, and try your chance at a prize or two. Pre-registration is required to participate in Neptune’s 8K or 5K, but spectators are free and encouraged to attend.
10. Come one, come all to celebrate fall at the Harvest Festival at Hunt Club (Sept. 27 – Nov. 2) and pet the friendliest farm animals, take a pony ride, tour the farm, scream from the top of the highest carnival ride and so much more. Don’t forget to visit the massive pumpkin patch and pick up a perfect Pungo pumpkin.
The Virginia Beach Convention Center (VBCC) is a hub of activity again this month. In September alone, almost 50,000 guests will visit the VBCC for everything from corporate meetings and a train show to a pet expo and one of the best home shows of the year. This multi-use, gorgeous facility — right in the heart of the Resort area — may be just the place for your next meeting or special event. Take a virtual tour and find more information at www.visitvirginiabeach.com/