In solidarity with the Women’s March in Washington there will be a sister march in Norfolk tomorrow, January 21.
The rallying point is the plaza in front of the Chrysler Museum at 12pm. The destination is The Plot in the NEON District.
The march is appropriate for women and men, older and younger, all races, all religions, and all gender identities. All are welcome.
“Like many of us, after the election, I felt like my voice hadn’t been heard,” said one of the organizers, Holly Christoper. “I had done all the ‘right’ things – I had voted, I had signed petitions, I had written my representatives – and it didn’t seem to make a difference. I, and many others, now realize that it’s time to take further action so that our voices can count. This March is my way of offering others the opportunity to make our voices heard and collectively, to drown out negativity, sexism, misogyny, and bigotry with the voices of hope, unity, and support. Everyone has different motivations for marching, those are mine.”
Parking for the event is available at the Harrison Opera House and Cedar Grove Lot. The Freemason and York parking garages are just a couple of blocks from the rally points, as are the Monticello and York light rail stations.
Here is more about the intent of the event:
Women’s March participants stand together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families – recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country. We call on all defenders of human rights to join us.
* We are non-partisan, and will not use the Women’s March primarily to criticize politicians or political parties.
* We will use no violence (physical or verbal) towards any person.
* We will not destroy or damage property.
* We will promote a tone of respect, honesty, transparency, and accountability in our actions.
* We will not carry anything that can be construed as a weapon, nor possess (or consume) any alcohol or drugs.
* We will all hold each other accountable to respecting these agreements.
For more information or to invite your friends, click here.