We’ve all been there: moments when you’ve given all you’ve ever had and failed; moments when you lost a loved one; moments when you felt such joy you can hardly contain yourself.
Storytelling is part of our history reaching back to primitive times. Today, ViBe Story Exchange wants to hear your stories and create art from our shared human moments.
The ViBe Creative District is the newest art district in Hampton Roads. Formally established by the City Council of Virginia Beach on April 21, 2015, the ViBe Creative District focuses on local and regional artists, and now, it wants to hear from you.
ViBe Story Exchange is an arts-focused community engagement project that aims to connect Hampton Roads locals through our shared human experiences. The intergenerational-story project is about connecting people of all ages, races, religions, shapes and sizes.
Here’s how it works:
- We need writers of all ages, backgrounds and experiences. This includes children!
- Read over the writing prompts.
- Write your story based on one of the prompts: 500 – 1,000 words.
- Email your story to email@example.com.
- If your story is selected, you will be notified and your story will be paired with someone of a shared experience who wrote to the same prompt.
- The pair of stories is handed over to local Hampton Roads artists who will create a way to present the intermingled stories (we’re calling this presentation “Story Exchanges.”)
- The Story Exchanges will take place on the First Friday events in the ViBe Creative District, hosted by a different local business each time.
The stories will be presented through many different art forms including film, spoken word, music, dance, theater and visual art. Artists include choreographer Janelle Spruill, currently a company dancer of Todd Rosenlieb Dance, Stephen Miles of Scribble Cinema and Asa Jackson of 670 Gallery. Local businesses hosting the Story Exchanges include MOCA, Studio 17, Java Surf, Esoteric, Croc’s 19th Street Bistro, Chartreuse Interiors and Flo Pilates.
What are the writing prompts?
- Write about a time you lost something or someone you loved.
- Write about a time when you had to be a good friend or someone was a good friend to you.
- Write about a time when you made a [difficult / fun / challenging / enlightening] decision, and how did it change your life?
- [Adults] What advice do you have for kids? [Kids] What advice do you have for adults?
- What question do you think the world needs to ask itself? And why?
The truth is, we’ve all lost something and we’ve all gone through transitions. If you’re willing to share your story, ViBe Story Exchange is willing to turn your story into art and share it with others of shared experiences. We’re in this together: this whole “living life” thing. We don’t always get it right, but sometimes we do. Sharing stories helps us to conquer fear, move forward and connect as a community.
For more information: