Good news, guys. Living downtown means you’ve got options. Head to happy hour at any one of these 10 After Work Spots Downtown, and take a deep breath and load off (you deserve it). Each spot we’ve selected is within walking distance of all the new apartments coming online downtown, and whether you’re a sports fan, a wine aficionado or just looking for a comfy seat and a friendly bartender, we’ve included just what you’re looking for!
1. Todd Jurich’s Bistro. Open Monday-Saturday, and located conveniently at 150 West Main Street, directly across the street from Nauticus and Town Point Park, Todd Jurich’s is open for Happy Hour at their Wine Bar from 4-7 pm, Mon-Fri. Head over for 1/2 off wine and a chance to chat with their bartender Rob, the friendliest, funniest and savviest barman around.
2. Luce. Italian Wine Bar and Restaurant, Luce, features an extensive wine list, local brews on tap, vast selection of spirits and an “educated” Italian menu. Happy hour is Mon-Fri 5-7 pm and features specials on select wine and beer. They also have a pretty fab late night food menu beginning at 9 pm for all you night owls. GO GET YOU SOME.
3.Empire Little Bar Bistro. This classic downtown hot spot is the place to go for creative, small plates and a diverse and eclectic cocktail list. With 1/2 off wine bottles on Mondays from 5-9 pm, and $2 cans on Wednesdays from 5-9 pm, you’d be cuckoo not to.
4.Chartreuse Bistro. If you haven’t tried Chartreuse’s cheeky twist on happy hour-Cocktails and Crudo-well, don’t wait any longer. From 4-6 pm Mon-Fri, Chartreuse offers unique, selected bites and cocktails/wine, and yes, these hours are truly, deeply happy.
5. Pagoda Restaurant. Aside from the fact that it’s beautiful, features an art gallery with Chinese artifacts and sits beside an exquisite oriental garden, it also has a pretty bangin’ happy hour. Wed-Fri, pop over to the Pagoda from 3-6 pm, and get buy one, get one half off of all drinks, including bottles of wine.
6. Scotty Quixx. Need to get your sports bar fix? Or, enjoy an outdoor patio for first class people-watching on Granby Street, and a happy hour that spans the 9 hours between 11 am-8 pm (woah)? Head to Scotty Quixx for all of the above.
7. 456 Fish. If you’d like to class up your evening, 456 Fish can help you feel refined again. Located at 456 Granby Street (natch), around the corner from the Norfolk Scope, happy hours run daily, from 4-630 pm. Stay a while and enjoy their super fine dinner menu, while you’re at it. You won’t be disappointed.
8. 219 Bistro. Located on the corner of Granby and Brooke Street, 219 is also well-known for their incredible Sunday brunch. Visit them from 3-630 pm Mon-Fri for happy hour specials at their bar, and enjoy a snack while you’re at it. Good food + Good drinks = WINWINWIN.
9. Baxter’s Sports Lounge. At 500 Granby Street, Baxters features daily food specials (think fish tacos for $3) that will warm your wallet’s heart, and a daily happy hour menu from 4-7 pm. Watch your favorite team on a gigondo screen tv, shoot pool and vibe out on their patio. All things happy and smiling.
10. Cure Coffeehouse and Brasserie. True story: Cure really DOES have a fix for every/anything. This coffeehouse by day begins happy hour at 4 pm, and features an extensive craft beer selection, as well as wine. Local artists deck their walls, and live music performances are a regular feature.
Photo | Luce