The City of Virginia Beach Development Authority is seeking a qualified (one) artist to design and execute one-of-a-kind two-dimensional murals on pre-selected interior walls of the Town Center of Virginia Beach parking garages.
The City of Virginia Beach Development Authority is seeking a qualified (one) artist to design and execute one‐of‐a‐kind two‐dimensional murals on pre‐selected interior walls of the Town Center of Virginia Beach parking garages. Artwork will be selected based on the quality of the design and durability. Proposals should consider aesthetically pleasing use of color and form as well as relate well to the urban life of Town Center. Designs must include “Welcome to Town Center” which can be integrated into the design or painted separately/adjacent to the artwork. Artists are encouraged to utilize and engage students (to include the Art Institute of Virginia Beach) in the mural painting process. Please see attachment for mural dimensions and locations.
Murals must be painted with high‐quality color‐fast semi‐gloss paint with the proven ability to maintain color‐fastness for 5 years. Artist is expected to provide manufacturer specifications on chosen materials with proposal. Materials, colors used, and design will be at the approval of the Town Center Art Review Committee and stakeholders. Artist must be flexible as to schedule. Murals shall be painted when the garage is less busy (i.e., after 8pm on Sundays and Mondays).
Goals of Project
- Transforming utilitarian parking structures into art forms
- Foster a sense of welcome to Town Center to include the message: “Welcome to Town Center”
- Increase public awareness of art
- Broaden viewers’ perspectives of public spaces within the City
The project is open to all qualified artists. Artist must demonstrate experience completing projects of similar scope in public locations. Artists may apply as individuals, or as part of an artist team. Selected artist must have a certificate of insurance, a business license/W‐9.
Project Budget – up to $3,600 for three murals, to include artist fee (design, travel, required meetings, installation, clean‐up, etc.), materials and supplies, and any equipment needed to install the mural.
- Current Resume detailing professional artistic accomplishments and references from past public art projects (preferably mural projects), including awards if applicable.
- Digital images of relevant work (minimum of 3, maximum of 10) on CD. Images must be labeled, numbered according to order on Image List.
- Image List: List image number, title, media, size, date, location, description of work.
- Project Approach: Articulate design concept, anticipated installation requirements i.e.: possible closure of surrounding area for installation, anticipated maintenance requirements, estimated number of days of execution and choice of materials (include manufacturer specifications), outline proposed use of students in the process. Limit to one page.
- Visual representation of project proposal. Proposal must include conceptual designs for all three walls.
- Project Budget.
- Self‐addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage if you would like your CD and graphics returned.
Mail or hand‐deliver submissions to:
Cultural Arts Coordinator Office of Cultural Affairs
City of Virginia Beach
201 Market St. Suite 204
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
Contact Nina Goodale‐Salazar at firstname.lastname@example.org
5:00 pm, February 15, 2017
Rules and Guidelines
The Development Authority reserves the right, as its best interests may appear, to reject any or all submissions, to reject any finalist, to waive informalities in applications or proposals, to terminate the selection process for any project without prior notice. Prior to installation of any mural, a selected artist must provide a depiction of the proposed mural; any deviation from that depiction in the installed mural will be grounds for termination of the selected artist’s involvement with the project. The Development Authority makes no representation or guaranty that any mural, once installed, will remain on display for any period of time. The Development Authority reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to paint over the mural at any time. Application to any project advertised by the Development Authority constitutes agreement to all applicable rules and guidelines.
For more info or to apply, click here.