In a world that feels broken, it’s nice to seek advice from children.
ViBe Story Exchange, an ongoing community engagement art project in the ViBe Creative District of Virginia Beach, asked local fifth graders for their advice to adults.
They had a lot to share.
One such list of advice is below. To see the advice turned into music and spoken word poetry, you can attend the FREE event this Saturday at noon at Java Surf.
Advice from a fifth grader
Anthony Coan, Fairfield Elementary School
Virginia Beach, VA
Hey there adults! Here is a list of great advice from me, Tony Coan, fifth grade student and parenting expert.
- Adults do not ask kids to do their chores when kids have homework to do.
- You need to spend some time with your child.
- Have fun with your child. Play with your child.
- Tell your kids about your day.
- Be nice to your child.
- Let your child try new foods.
- Help your child with their chores.
- Pay attention to your kids.
- Let your kid ride a bike.
- Help your child with their homework.
- Express your feelings with your child.
- Take your kid to school.
- Go out to a restaurant with a child.
- Go outside with your child.
- Go to the movies with your child.
- Go on vacations with your child.
- Read to your child.
- Take a walk with your child.
- Take pictures with your kids.
- Swim with your child.
- Watch television with your child.
- Buy new stuff with your child.
- Eat with your child.
- Go to the zoo with your child.
- Go to the circus.
- Play an instrument with your child.
- Make a drawing with your child.
- Play kid-friendly video games with your child.
- Make your child feel better when your child is sick.
- Have a party with your child.
- Make your kid laugh with your funny jokes.
- Help your child open a jar and a water bottle.
- Get a pencil that is sharpened for your child when your child needs a pencil.
- Help your child ride a skateboard.
- Help your child learn to roller skate.
- Help your child learn to ice skate.
- Clean with your child. Help your child clean.
- Teach your child to be nice to others.
- Be scared with your child.
- Go camping with your child.
- Discover new things with your child.
- Let your child say can’t.
- Ride a train with your child.
- Do not say bad words because your child might say bad words.
- Collect new things with your child like collect rocks, jewelry, books, and gems.
- Be right next to your child in the doctor’s office or the emergency room.
- Eat candy with your child.
- Let your child help you with cooking.
- Learn new information with your child.
- Make jewelry with your kids.
- Let your child buy a new toy.
- Ask your kid to do their chores for an allowance.
- Celebrate a holiday with your child.
- Help your child get ready for school.
- Help your kid tie their shoes.
- Walk or drive with your child to the bus stop.
- Teach your child how to do karate.
- Tell your kid to get ready for bed when it is your kid’s bedtime.
That is my advice for all you adults out there. I hope you like my good advice for all the adults.
A fifth grader
Would you like to submit a story to be turned into art? E-mail your story to email@example.com! Accepting year-round submissions.
For more info on the event:
When: Saturday, July 9, 2016
Time: Noon – 4:00 PM
Location: Java Surf ViBe District (1807 Mediterranean Ave)
Artists: Neisha Himes (aka Beautiful Dizaster) and Rich Luong (aka Soup)
Follow on social media: @vibestories or #vibestoryexchange