The NEON Festival in Downtown Norfolk’s NEON (New Energy of Norfolk) District will be held September 15 to 18.
The free festival welcomes everyone to experience the NEON District’s offerings through art exhibitions, local and national performances, and mural tours.
The NEON Festival will expand from two to four days with expanded programming and venues.
“The NEON community’s collaborative spirit inspired new partners, new art and new events for this year’s festival,” said co-chair Rachel McCall. “The level of support from our arts and community partners is inspiring, and we have robust offerings for this year’s event.”
The kick-off will start with the Chrysler Museum’s Third Thursday event on September 15 at the Museum starting at 5 p.m. and at the Glass Studio at 8 p.m.
A preview of festival events include:
- Glass Wheel Studio exhibition reception Friday, September 16, 7-10 p.m. featuring Gabriel Greenlaw and Emily MacDonald-Korth
- The Plot, Friday, September 16, 7-9 p.m. beer garden, food trucks, live music and performances. Family fun day at the Plot Sunday, 12-5 p.m. with children’s activities and family friendly performances
- d’Art Center fundraiser at The Plot Saturday, September 17, 5-9 p.m., featuring art activities, art by d’Art Center artists, live music, food and drink, including Smartmouth beer
- ETC, produced by Festevents, is new to the NEON Festival. On Saturday, September 17, Town Point Park is transformed into a platform for innovative artists, comedians, authors, musicians, food trucks and a pop-up retail marketplace
- WORK | RELEASE, Thursday through Sunday live entertainment and the latest Rutter Family Art Foundation exhibition. Live broadcast with Hunter at Sunrise and Tidewater Arts Outreach Acoustic Brunch on Sunday, September 18
- Programming from NEON arts partners Hurrah Players, Virginia Opera, Governor’s School for the Arts and Virginia Stage Company
New and existing businesses will be open throughout the NEON Festival including Zeke’s Beans & Bowls, Push Comedy Theater, Nouvelle, Exotic Home, Okay Spark Gallery, Granby Social Club, Glass Eye Gallery and Bearded Bird Brewing, scheduled to open in August.
More details and updates to the festival’s program will be posted on the website here.
We also invite everyone to follow the NEON Festival on Facebook for the latest updates.