The Hurrah Players have officially closed on the former Sutton Manufacturing building on Wilson Ave. in the Norfolk Arts District. According to Katie Stone, general manager, they “could not be happier to be part of this exciting time for Norfolk.”
The location is perfect from the perspective of creating a sense of cohesion and vibe in the Arts District. This building faces the parking lot of the Texaco building, which is under contract to Brother Rutter and Rutter Mills. At the end of the block is the skate ramp art the Public Art Commission sponsored. At the other end is the old Zedd’s space, where The Plot is moving. The Beauty Parlor’s cafe (currently under construction) is on the same block as the Texaco building; a block in the other direction is Alchemy. The giant mural on Bob’s is nearby.
Last year the neighborhood was deemed the arts district. This is the year is starts to feel like one.
Here’s the press release from Hurrah:
NORFOLK, VA: The Hurrah Players are thrilled to announce expansion into the Norfolk Arts and Design District. Hurrah celebrated the New Year by closing on the purchase of 112-116 West Wilson Avenuelocated just off Granby Street.
Constructed in 1907 to serve as a horse and cattle stable for the Miller, Rhodes, and Stewart
Department Store, this building later housed Cherry H R & Company auto repair until 1945 when it was purchased and renovated by Sutton Manufacturing Corporation.
This 12,000+ square foot building will provide additional classrooms and a rehearsal studio for Hurrah’s ever growing educational program, as well as establish a permanent design and creation workshop for performance scenery and props. As the premiere performing arts education center in this new District, Hurrah will be active leaders in the cultural transformation of the community.
Establishing The Hugh R. Copeland Center is another dream come true for Virginia’s Leading Family Theatre Company. “Moving our permanent headquarters to downtown Norfolk in 2010 remains one of the greatest achievements in our 30 year history, but we have always known an additional facility would be necessary to accommodate our company’s dynamic operations, and to meet the needs of our community.” states Hurrah founder and Artistic Director – Hugh R. Copeland.
Over the past year, Hurrah has actively investigated potential properties and quietly sought major partners and supporters for a Capital project. The $1.5 million “Reach for the Stars” Campaign includes the purchase and complete renovation of this new arts and education center, as well as establishes an endowment for the organization. John Tymoff of Tymoff and Moss has been secured as the architect along with Ashett Construction to lead the renovations.Through very generous support of several community champions, including the Norfolk Southern Foundation, Hurrah has already raised more than $800,000 toward the project. With the official closing on the property complete, renovations to the Center and public fundraising initiatives will begin within the next few weeks.
The grand opening for the Hugh R. Copeland Center is scheduled for Summer 2015.