The Pushers and Generic Theater have teamed up to bring you a weekend full of the best improv, sketch, and stand up comedy.
The Norfolk Comedy Festival officially kicks off on Thursday, Sept 17th with a FREE Murder Mystery Show at Push Comedy Theater at 7pm and will have multiple shows Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.
The festival will feature sketch and improv troupes CLUTCH from Charleston, SC, Coalition Theater of Richmond, VA, Nerd Alert from Chapel Hill, NC, and local groups including Absolute Uncertainty, The Bright Side, Upright Senior Citizens Brigade, Sons of Harold, and of course, The Pushers. Rahmein Mostafavi will be in town from D.C. and Eric DaSilva will fly north from Miami to headline the stand up shows on Friday and Saturday nights, respectively.
Why should you go? Well. they say laughter is the best medicine. If that’s the case, the 4th Annual Norfolk Comedy Festival will have you feeling better than ever.
In honor of the Norfolk Comedy Festival, I give you “Seven Reasons Why Comedy Is Good for Your Health (In my humble, not medically trained opinion)”
- It keeps you present. You’ve heard about the benefits of meditation, right? It’s all about the practice of presence, staying where you are both physically and mentally. Live comedy keeps your mind in the moment as you watch the show unfold and let your worries melt away.
- Technology break! How many times a day do you look at your phone? My guess is: TOO MANY. Technology is frying our brain cells and all of us our just a text away from getting carpal tunnel in our thumbs. Give your brain and fingers the break they deserve.
- Smiling is powerful. FACT. (Google it!) Live comedy will absolutely have you giggling, smirking, AND smiling which makes you feel better and will attract positive people to you (let’s be real, nobody wants to talk to Debbie Downer).
- Beer! Yup, there will be a cash bar at every show. Beer leads to decreased anxiety and stress levels*. *Sometimes.
- Community. If you haven’t hung out with the Norfolk comedy crowd yet, the time has come! I can’t speak for all comedy communities but the one the Pushers have created is pretty damn magical. The people are friendly and welcoming and even the weirdest weirdos fit right in. Becoming a part of a community increases your confidence and self worth, and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.
- Laughter burns calories. Skip the elliptical and get your tush in a seat at one of the shows! Your abs will thank you.
- Passion breeds passion. Here’s my theory: Passion is contagious. When you hang out with people who are passionate, it encourages you to be more passionate. The performances you’ll see and workshops you’ll take during the Norfolk Comedy Festival will feature some of the most talented and passionate performers in the country. Come increase your passion levels, and in turn your happiness levels. Happy makes you healthy.
So get out there and laugh! Thank me later.
More info available at norfolkcomedyfestival.com.