It’s time to get out and play on Norfolk’s new bigger beach.
Summer sun means family fun and we are excited to get the good times going! Among so many reasons Norfolk is wonderful is the 7.5 miles of beaches right in our backyard. Ocean View beaches have plenty of parking and calm waves for safe play and relaxation.
The Department of Recreation, Parks & Open Space is holding a Summer Kickoff Beach Party on Saturday, May 27 at 11:00 a.m. on Community Beach (700 E. Ocean View Ave.). Festivities include music, giveaways, lifeguard drills, beach activities and more:
- Mayor Alexander and members of City Council will kick off the beach grand opening with an old fashioned hula hoop contest!
- The first 100 families will receive a free bucket of beach toys.
- Norfolk’s Park Rangers will lead a rousing game of Beach Blanket Bingo for kids following the hula hoop kickoff.
- Attendees are encouraged to take a “BEACHIE” and post to #OVBeach– winners will be chosen at random to receive a Fun-in-the Sun Kit.
- Bodacious Pizza Fajita Express food trucks will have food, drinks, and snacks available for purchase.
- Hot 100.5 FMwill spin sizzling summer tunes!
- Coozies, info on beach reads and the summer reading program will be available from Norfolk Public Library.
- Complimentary sunscreen will be provided courtesy of the Virginia Department of Health.
- Free parking all summer long.
With all the choices for where to spend summer days, here are some incredible reasons to choose Ocean View: Norfolk’s Beach!